Hutchesons' Hall

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Hutchesons' Hall


National Trust for Scotland emblem.svg
National Trust for Scotland
Hutcheson's Hall.jpg
Grid reference: NS591652
Location: 55°51’35"N, 4°14’48"W

Hutchesons' Hall is an early nineteenth century building in Ingram Street in the centre of Glasgow, Lanarkshire, and owned and maintained by the National Trust for Scotland. It is a Category A listed building.

The current building was constructed, as Hutchesons' Hospital, between 1802 and 1805 to a design by the architect David Hamilton. This building was to replace an earlier hospital of 1641, situated in the city's Trongate. Hamilton's design incorporates in its frontage statues (carved in 1649 by James Colquhoun) from this earlier hospital.

Hutcheson's Hospital was built with monies left in the will of brothers George and Thomas Hutcheson for the purposes of building a hospital for the elderly and a school for poor boys. The school is still operating today, although fee-paying, as Hutchesons' Grammar School.

In 1876, the architect John Baird was commissioned to refurbish the hall. This work heightened the structure and added a feature staircase.

Hutcheson's Hall

Outside links