Hawkchurch is village and parish in Dorset, adjacent to the border with Devon. It is situated three miles north east of Axminster in the latter county and about six miles south of the border with Somerset. It is four miles north of the tourist and fishing village of Lyme Regis.
The parish church of St John the Baptist dates from Saxon times, however, the building was heavily restored in 1862.
In 1878 the Rev. John Going became rector to the parish and planted rose trees on the walls of every cottage, which gave Hawkchurch its title "The Village of Roses".
The village pub, "The Old Inn", is a traditional coaching house, and a hostelry has been on the site since 1543.
The Manor House, Wyld Court, dates from 1593. It was built for Robert Moore, whose coat of arms is inscribed above the door. An earlier mediæval house on the site belonged to Cerne Abbey, prior to the dissolution of the Monasteries. It is a Grade-II* listed building.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|