Hatfield Peverel

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Hatfield Peverel
St. Andrew's church, Hatfield Peverel, Essex - geograph.org.uk - 136598.jpg
St Andrew's church, Hatfield Peverel
Grid reference: TL7911
Location: 51°46’8"N, 0°35’34"E
Population: 4,376  (2011[1])
Post town: Chelmsford
Postcode: CM3
Dialling code: 01245
Local Government
Council: Braintree

Hatfield Peverel is a large urban village and parish at the centre of Essex. The 2004 parish population, including the hamlet of Nounsley, was approximately 5,500. Hatfield means a 'heathery space in the forest'; Peverel refers to William Peverel, the Norman knight granted lands in the area by William the Conqueror after the Norman invasion of 1066. It is sited on high ground east of the River Ter, between Boreham and Witham on the A12.

Hatfield Peverel is six miles north-east of Chelmsford, the county town, to which it is connected by road and rail. Hatfield Peverel railway station is on the East Anglia rail network. London is 45 minutes away by train, a journey to Colchester takes 30 minutes and provides access to and from Witham, London and Ipswich. There is a notable railway viaduct across the River Ter just west of the station.

Hatfield Peverel is the site of a priory founded by the Saxon Ingelrica, wife of Ranulph Peverel and reputed to be the mistress of William the Conqueror, to atone for her sins, and dissolved by Henry VIII. The parish church, St Andrew's (Church of England) is the surviving fragment of the Norman priory church nave. There is also a Methodist Church and a Salvation Army (north-east London headquarters) congregation. The village has a Junior School (St Andrew's C of E) and an adjacent County Infant School, and Scout and Guide organisations with headquarters in Church Road, a Post Office, library, and doctors' surgery. Hatfield Peverel was the site of a Arla Foods factory which closed in July 2016. It used to produce dairy products, and other small business concerns. There are six public houses, a farm shop and other retail outlets. Major houses include Berwick Place, Crix, Hatfield Place, Hatfield Wick, and The Priory.

Hatfield Peverel Football Club has been established since 1903. Originally based at the Duke of Wellington Public House before moving to the Recreation Ground in 1936. The club are now based on the outskirts of the village at a former gravel pit at Wickham Bishops Road and fields men's, ladies and junior teams.


Outside links

("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Hatfield Peverel)