|For:|| John Nisbit |
by John Adam
The house was built in 1753 by a prosperous local smuggler, John Nisbet, and notwithstanding the precarious nature of his trade, prospered enough to build his house to a design of John Adam (elder brother of the more famous Robert Adam). He called it his 'Splendid Palace'.
The house includes however features one would not find in a normal gentry house of the period but specific to Nisbet's needs; it has secret hiding places where smuggled goods were kept, and a tea chute for rapidly concealing that overly-taxed commodity.
Today the house is opened as a tourist attraction with a series of interactive displays, but also contains self-catering accommodation.