Gorteen or Gurteen is a village in County Sligo. In the early part of the 21st century it has become, to some degree, a commuter town for people working in Sligo. The name is from the Irish Guirtín, meaning 'a small garden'.
Places of Interest
- The Michael Coleman Irish Music Centre
- Coleman Cottage, a traditional Cottage, forge and archive.
- Gorteen was served by the Kilfree Junction between Boyle and Ballymote on the Dublin to Sligo line. This railway station opened on 31 October 1874 and closed on 4 February 1963.
- "The Michael Coleman Irish Music Centre". http://www.colemanirishmusic.com/thecentre.php. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Traditional Cottage - Forge - Archive". http://www.colemanirishmusic.com/archive.php. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Kilfree". Railscot - Irish Railways. http://www.railscot.co.uk/Ireland/Irish_railways.pdf. Retrieved 2008-05-12.