St Olave's, Gatcombe
|Island:||Isle of Wight|
|Council:||Isle of Wight|
|Isle of Wight|
The parish church is St Olave's Church, dedicated in 1292, serving as chapel to Gatcombe House. The Gatcombe parish was established in 1560. A carved wooden effigy of Edward Estur, a local knight who fought in the Crusades, is in the church.
In 1907, a contract was signed that ensured that properties older than 1907 in Gatcombe and nearby Chillerton would receive free water, while newer homes receive it at a reduced rate. In 2009 Southern Water proposed that everyone to pay the same rate, claiming that the reasoning behind the initial pact is now invalid, as the costs for the original project have since been paid off.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- "Villagers battle to keep free water". Isle of Wight County Press. http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/villagers-battle-to-keep-free-water-25682.aspx. Retrieved 2009-04-17.