Ferry Port on Craig

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search

Ferry Port on Craig is a parish at the north-eastern extremity of Fife, stretching along the sea at the mouth of the Tay, where the land rises into a hilly range, extending westwards. The northernmost part of the parish also forms the northernmost point of the county.

Whereas the parish retains the name Ferry Port on Craig, the town these days is better known as Tayport. It acquired this name after the Edinburgh & Dundee railway started operating their railway-ferry service from Edinburgh to Aberdeen in 1851. The rail route via Ferry Port on Craig reduced in importance from 1878 with the opening of the Tay Rail Bridge, and it closed entirely in 1966.

The population of the parish in 2011 was 3,886.

Outside links

Fife Knight.svg
 This Fife article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.