All Saints Church, Eyeworth
|Population:||86 (2001 est.)|
|North East Bedfordshire|
Despite its small size Eyeworth is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The majority of the houses are Victorian, though the seventeenth century Church Farm still remains.
The widow of Francis Bacon, née Alice Barnham, lived in Eyeworth following his death, and she died there in 1650. There were a number of minor skirmishes in the parish during the Civil War and it is reputed that Oliver Cromwell visited the village and damaged some of the church's icons.
All Saints Church
The parish church is All Saints. The current building dates back to the fourteenth century and is partly constructed from Totternhoe stone. The church's fifteenth century spire was destroyed by lightning in 1967 and after the subsequent theft of the lead from its roof was replaced by a much smaller modern turret.
The interior houses a number of mediæval brasses and monuments to Sir Edmund Anderson (d.1605), founder of the Anderson line who were lords of the manor, and who was also a judge during the trial of Mary, Queen of Scots.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Alan Castle (2001). Walking in Bedfordshire. Cicerone Press Ltd.