St Botolph's Church, Culpho
Culpho (pronounced Cul-fo) is a hamlet of about 40 people standing along the lanes just outside Grundisburgh in Suffolk, about four miles west of Woodbridge. Its nearest villages are Great Bealings and Playford.
Culpho is small, but it has its own church, St Botolph's, which is part of a shared benefice with Great Bealings, Little Bealings and Playford.
The place-name 'Culpho' is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it appears as Culfole. The name is spelt Colfho in 1168, Culfho in 1178, and Colvesho in 1250. The name probably means 'Cuthwulf's hill (The word hoh is a common description for a heel-shaped hill.)
In 1280 an abbey was erected here on behalf of the monks of Leiston Abbey but this has long been demolished and a farmhouse now stands in its place.
Culpho is one of the Thankful Villages; those very few villages whose men all returned alive from the slaughter of the Great War of 1914 to 1918.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|