The old manse at Croy
| Inverness, Nairn,|
Badenoch and Strathspey
Croy is a village in the parish of Croy and Dalcross on the border of Inverness-shire and Nairnshire. The village looks over the Moray Firth and is located a few miles from Inverness Airport. The Gaelic form of the name is Crothaigh.
The site of the Battle of Culloden is located within the same parish. The local church was built in the 18th century. An old manse is associated with the church. The village hall was built in 1907 with the aid of local funding. The land where the hall stands was donated by the Kilravock estate.
The local area has expanded in recent years and the village now creeps over the border into Nairnshire, but remains within the same parish, which too spans the county border.
The village contains a village hall and a church hall. The village shop closed down in May 2014. The nearest shop is now in Cawdor, three miles away. The village has a primary school in the catchment area of Culloden Academy. Nearby Cantraybridge college also provides rural vocational training for adults with learning disabilities.
Kilravock Castle pronounced 'Kil-rawk') dates from 1460. The castle and grounds are closed to the public, but you can visit the gardens by leaving a donation. There are no staff to enable visits or tours of the Castle.The Castle is no longer offering B&B accommodation although The Granary (bunkhouse accommodation) can be booked by young groups and Rose Hall can be booked for all kinds of events and holds up to 150 people.