St Giles, Cromwell
|Council:||Newark and Sherwood|
The parish church is St Giles' Church, a 13th-century building, with a tower built around 1427.
The Old Rectory was built in about 1680 as a dower house for the Earl of Clare, and in use as a rectory before 1714. Between the village and the River Trent lies an extensive area of Roman fields within which stood a villa. Parts of a timber and stone bridge have also been recorded close by.
Cromwell is one of the four Thankful Villages in Nottinghamshire - those rare places that suffered no fatalities during the Great War of 1914 to 1918.
Just to the east of the village is Cromwell Lock the point where the non tidal River Trent ends and the so-called Tideway starts. From Cromwell lock commercial traffic and pleasure craft may navigate north towards Torksey Gainsborough and ultimately the Trent Falls where the River Trent meets the Yorkshire Ouse and becomes the Humber. Navigators on the Trent must wait till the tide is ebbing or flooding in their favour to ensure a safe and efficient passage.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Cromwell, Nottinghamshire)
- Pevsner, Nikolaus. 1979. The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire. pp 108-109. Harmondsworth, Middx. Penguin.