Colne village green
Set amidst orchards between Earith and Somersham, Colne is prettily centred around a green on which is located the church of St Helen, completed as recently as 1900. Nearby is the south porch which is all that remains of the old church, which collapsed in 1896. The current parish church was built in 1900 half a mile to the south to replace it.
In the north of the parish are the remains of a Romano-British settlement of considerable archaeological interest. The site is clearly marked, the conformation of the ground including certain ancient ditches. It was apparently home to community of fishermen and hunters in Roman times
There are no shops in Colne itself but there is a Pub, "The Green Man", a Church, "St Helen's", and an egg farm. The nearest shop is less than a mile away in Bluntisham to the south.
The ancient church of St Helen consisted of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower entirely within the nave, and a south porch. The walls are chiefly of stone and rubble, but parts of it were brick and the roof was tiled.
The ancient font still remains as well as the bells and a few 13th and 14th century coffin lids.
Colne suffered from a disastrous fire in 1844, but there still remains several 17th century half-timbered houses and cottages, thatched or tiled, and in the middle of the village on the west side of the street, there is a late 16th century house. Near to it is the Baptist Chapel built in 1870. The old church which stood a quarter of a mile north-west of the village was, for the most part, destroyed by the fall of the tower in 1896. A new church was subsequently built in the village.
Colne in the past has also been recorded as Collen (13th c) and Colneye (14th c).
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Colne, Huntingdonshire)