Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity, Bermuda
|Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity|
|Anglican Church of Bermuda|
The Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity (often referred to as the Bermuda Cathedral) is an Anglican cathedral located on Church Street in Hamilton, Bermuda.
The original cathedral here was designed in the Early English style by James Cranston of Oxford in 1844 and was completed in 1869. That building was destroyed by fire in 1884.
The architect William Hay, who had been consulted on the construction of the first cathedral in 1848-1849 and again in 1862, was hired to design the current structure in 1885 in the Gothic Revival style. While Hay designed most of the structure, his partner George Henderson designed the eastern portion of the cathedral. The cathedral was built between 1886-1905
The structure was primarily built from Bermuda limestone with the exception of several decorative features made from carved Caen stone that were brought in from France.
The cathedral was built for the established church, the Church of England; since 1978 this has been the Anglican Church of Bermuda, an extra-provincial diocese under the Archbishop of Canterbury.