Castle Grant stands a mile north of Grantown-on-Spey in Inverness-shire detached in Morayshire. It is the former seat of the Clan Grant chiefs of Strathspey. It was originally named Freuchie Castle but was renamed Grant in 1694.
15th - 16th centuries
The castle is a Z-plan tower house that dates from the fifteenth century. The lands had been held by the Clan Comyn but passed to the Grants in the fifteenth century and it became their main stronghold.
The castle was originally named Freuchie Castle and James Grant of Freuchie supported King James V.
17th - 18th centuries
Although the Grants were Protestants they joined James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose during the Scottish Civil War in the 1640s. The name of the castle changed from Freuchie Castle to Castle Grant in 1694 when the lands were made into the regality of Grant.
Ludovick Grant, the eighth laird supported the Hanoverians against the Stewarts and fought against the Jacobites in both the Jacobite rising of 1715 and that of 1745. However Castle Grant was occupied by the Jacobites.
In 1787 Robert Burns visited Castle Grant.
The castle was restored by Sir Robert Lorimer in 1912.
It later became derelict, but was restored in the 1990s. The property was purchased for £720,000 by businessman Craig Whyte in 2006. Castle Grant was seized by the Bank of Scotland after Whyte, who had led Rangers F.C. into its administration and liquidation in 2012, refused to make mortgage payments. It was sold to foreign buyers in September 2014.
- Coventry, Martin. (2008). Castles of the Clans: The Strongholds and Seats of 750 Scottish Families and Clans. pp. 241 - 243. ISBN 978-1-899874-36-1.
- Dictionary of Scottish Atchitects: Robert Lorimer
- "Craig Whyte’s former Castle Grant home is sold". The Scotsman. 16 September 2014. http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/craig-whyte-s-former-castle-grant-home-is-sold-1-3543017. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Castle Grant)