Carlton Bridge End
|North East Bedfordshire|
The village has historically been laid out in a rectangular road pattern, the main parts of the village being around the roads of Bridgend and the High Street, with The Moor and The Causeway making up the rectangle's other sides. During the twentieth century the areas in between have been filled out with housing along the roads of Rectory Close, Carriers Way, Street Close, and Beeby Way. Carlton Park is located in Rectory Close and features three swings, a small basketball court, a football pitch and climbing frame. It also features one of the main landmarks of Carlton, its giant Oak tree.
Carlton's church is St Mary the Virgin, an Anglo-Saxon church, dating from 950, and with a font from about 1150. The church stands outside today’s village.
The Anglo Saxon stonework and 12th Century font are the most interesting features, though another feature is an early form of the mediaeval Green Man motif. Of more recent provenance is a Millennium window.
About the village
Carlton has one pub, The Fox, while until relatively recently also had another called The Royal Oak. The Oak has been closed since 31st March 2009 and has been sold for development. There is a Post Office and Village Shop located on Carlton's busiest through road, Bridgend. There is also one school, Carlton VC Lower School, and village hall which is also used as the school's assembly and sports hall. The Village has an Emmaus community which includes a busy café / restaurant, furniture repair workshop and second hand shop with furniture, books, china, clothes and bricabrac.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Carlton, Bedfordshire)