According to earlier scholarship, the etymology of the name is probably Gaelic cambas 'bay, creek'. However, the name could equally be from the Cumbric cognate of cambas, *camas 'bend in a river, bay', which would fit with Cambois's location at the confluence of Sleek Burn and the River Blyth. In either case, the spelling seems to have been influenced by French bois 'wood'.
Cambois was a coal mining village from 1862 to week ending 20 April 1968 when Cambois Colliery closed.
Cambois is now closely related to the area known as North Blyth. The main commercial activity (2011) is the importation of alumina for the manufacture of aluminium.
In 1883, the Coal Company gave a list of the property it owned, or leased, and this included 355 houses in the village.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Bethany Fox, 'The P-Celtic Place-Names of North-East England and South-East Scotland', The Heroic Age, 10 (2007), http://www.heroicage.org/issues/10/fox.html (appendix at http://www.heroicage.org/issues/10/fox-appendix.html); 
- Bethany Fox, 'The P-Celtic Place-Names of North-East England and South-East Scotland', The Heroic Age, 10 (2007), http://www.heroicage.org/issues/10/fox.html (appendix at http://www.heroicage.org/issues/10/fox-appendix.html).