Shops at Bransgore
|New Forest West|
Bransgore is a village in south-western Hampshire, perched between the New Forest and the sprawling suburbs of Christchurch. The village developed in the 19th century when a church and a school were built.
Though close to the coastal sprawl, Bransgore has sufficient separation to retain its rural village character, surrounded by farms, fields and woods. It is at the edge of the New Forest National Park, whose bounds are drawn close around the village.
The wider Parish of Bransgore includes the village of Thorney Hill, and the hamlets of Neacroft, Godwinscroft, Beckley, Hinton, and Waterditch. At the time of the last national census of 2011, Bransgore had a total population of 4,238.
Bransgore has a wide variety of shops including a Post Office, Pharmacy, Bakery, Greengrocery, Hairdresser, and Take-Away Food shops. There are also several pubs/restaurants. Bransgore has a village sports field with a children's playground. The sports field is the location of the Village Fun Day event which is held each summer.
The earliest deeds mentioning Bransgore date from the 1730s. The village was called, in 1759, "Bransgoer Common", and in 1817 "Bransgrove". The word "gore" in Middle English means a triangular piece of land. It is uncertain who or what "Bran" refers to.
A local myth is that the name Bransgore came from one of King Alfred's battles against the Danes, Brans from "brains" and Gore from "blood. In the 19th century, Victorian romantics even persuaded the Ordnance Survey to mark on their maps the site of a battle at Bransgore, on the road leading to Sopley. There is unfortunately, no truth in this story, and the name Bransgore does not derive from anything so gruesome.
The church of Saint Mary the Virgin was built in 1822 as a chapel of ease. The church is of brick with stone dressings, with a tower and originally a spire. However, the spire was removed in 1967. The early 16th-century font, which is said to have come from Christchurch, is octagonal, with a monogram J D, perhaps for "John Draper," the last Prior of Christchurch Priory.
The ecclesiastical parish of Bransgore was formed in 1875 from parts of Christchurch and Sopley. Henry William Wilberforce, son of William Wilberforce (known for his campaign against slavery), was once the vicar of Saint Mary's church. He founded a school in the village in 1841. In 1895, a National school was built accommodating 174 pupils, which is now the Primary School.
All Saints church near Thorney Hill is a Grade I listed, Edwardian Baroque church, built in 1906. Designed by Detmar Blow and constructed from Caen stone and rendered brick. Inside are wall paintings by Phoebe Anna Traquair (1852–1936) of Te Deum featuring local people.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Bransgore Parish Council
- Bransgore Virtual High Street, newforest-online
- Things to do in Bransgore, newforest-online
- A. T. Lloyd, J. E. S. Brooks, (1996), The History of New Milton and its Surrounding Area, Centenary Edition, page 14
- Old Hampshire Gazetteer – Bransgore
- See for example: Ordnance Survey (1919) Bournemouth and Purbeck map
- Hampshire Treasures – Bransgore, page 28
- Three Tuns Public House, Bransgore - British Listed Buildings
- Christchurch: A History of the County of Hampshire Volume 5 – Victoria County History
-  –
- Lewis, Samuel: 'A Topographical Dictionary of England (S. Lewis and Co., 1848) ISBN 978-0-8063-1508-9
- The History of Bransgore, newforest-online, retrieved 12 September 2011
- Hampshire Treasures – Bransgore, page 25
- Bransgore Primary School
- Church of All Saints - British Listed Buildings