Bow Castle Broch
|Built Iron Age|
The structure was excavated in 1890 when pottery, including some 2nd-century Roman amphora fragments, were found. In 1922 a 2nd-century Roman enamelled bronze brooch in the form of a cockerel was found among the ruins of the wall.
Information concerning the dating and use of the broch is limited due to the lack of modern excavations. However, Torwoodlee Broch, two miles to the north, was built and destroyed during the Roman occupations of Valentia and it is likely that Bow Castle shared a similar history.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Bow Castle)
- Curle, J (1892) 'Notes on two brochs recently discovered at Bow, Midlothian, and Torwoodlee, Selkirkshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.26, Pages 68–70