Bonnyrigg is served by several churches of different denominations.
- Church of Scotland
- Bonnyrigg Parish Church (originally built as Cockpen Free Church)
- Cockpen and Carrington Parish Church
Early maps of the locality show different spellings of the name Bonnyrigg. In 1766, a village called "Bannockrigg", is shown on maps, then, in 1815, the spelling changes to "Bannocrig". This spelling remains until 1854, when, for some unknown reason, the spelling changes to the now familiar Bonnyrigg.
In 1865, the villages of Bonnyrigg, Red Row, Polton Street, Hillhead and Broomieknowe combined to form the burgh of Bonnyrigg, and then, in 1881, the village of Lasswade and part of Broomieknowe combined to form the burgh of Lasswade. In 1929 the two burghs joined together to form the burgh of Bonnyrigg & Lasswade. This burgh lasted for 45 years until it subsumed in 1976.
Bonnyrigg was a mining village until the 1920s. Its carpet factory was demolished in 1994. The town centre mostly dates from the 19th century, though buildings at the main crossroads were rebuilt in the 1960s. In 2006, Bonnyrigg town centre benefited from £1.5 million of environmental improvements. Natural stone paving replaced the existing concrete paving slabs in areas across the town centre and new street lighting and furniture were installed.
Lasswade Rugby Football Club was founded in 1921 and initially played in a field to the west of Dobbies Road before moving to their current ground at Hawthornden in 1974.
The local golf course is Broomieknowe Golf Club. It is an 18 hole course with a par of 70.
Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic is the town's junior football club, which has won some success regionally.
- "Comparative Population Profile: Bonnyrigg Locality Scotland". General Register for Scotland. 2001-04-21. http://www.scrol.gov.uk/scrol/browser/profile.jsp?profile=Population&mainArea=bonnyrigg&mainLevel=Locality. Retrieved 2007-03-01.
- "Bonnyrigg & Lasswade Local History Society". Neil K Stewart. 1994-09-08. http://www.bonnyrigglasswadehistory.org.uk/brief_history.htm. Retrieved 2007-01-05.