Gaelic: Barabhas, Barbhas
|Post town:||Isle of Lewis|
|Council:||Na h-Eileanan Siar|
|Na h-Eileanan an Iar|
It developed around a road junction: The A857 and A858 roads meet at the southern end of Barvas. North is the road to Ness; west takes the traveller to Carloway and the West Side; south runs the road to Stornoway. According to the 2011 Census it still has the highest concentration of Scottish Gaelic speakers in Scotland (64% of the population) with 2,037.
- "A857". Sabre. http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A857. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Census shows Gaelic declining in its heartlands". BBC News Online. 15 November 2013. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-24955839. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Canmore - Lewis, Barvas site record
- Canmore - Lewis, Barvas, Cladh Mhuire site record
- Canmore - Barvas, Prehistoric House site record
- Canmore - Barvas, Prehistoric Cairn site record