The centre of Bannockburn
Growth of both Stirling and Bannockburn during the 19th and 20th centuries means that the two now form a contiguous conurbation, and Bannockburn was latterly incorporated into the royal burgh of Stirling and now the City of Stirling. Bannockburn had a population of 7352 at the time of the 2001 census.
Land in the vicinity of Bannockburn village, probably between the Pelstream and Bannock burns, was the site of the Battle of Bannockburn fought in 1314 — one of the pivotal battles of the 13th/14th century wars between the kingdoms of Scotland and England. A large monument and visitor centre is located near the site of the battle.
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries the Wilson family, of Bannockburn, designed and wove tartans for the army. Many of the so-called Clan tartans were created by the Wilsons in response to the needs of the Clan chiefs who, without their own "authentic" tartans, approached the Wilsons for suitable patterns. The visit of King George IV to Edinburgh in 1822, and his insistence that the Clan chiefs attend his banquets and levees in their proper clan tartans, prompted this reaction. The Wilson family ceased business in 1924.
A circular-arch stone bridge, built by engineer Thomas Telford, spans the burn downstream of the battle site.
Bannockburn used to have a railway station located next to the site of the bus depot.
- Rugby: Bannockburn RFC
Bannockburn is a place in Stirlingshire where was fought a bloody and decisive battle in the long, fratricidal wars of the Middle Ages. At Bannockburn Robert Bruce defeated the armies of King Edward II, and thereafter established Scotland as a separate kingdom. The battlefield today is owned by the National Trust for Scotland.
- Bannockburn Community Website
- Bannockburn – National Trust for Scotland
- Bannockburn House