Gaelic: Baile an Todhair
The Mermaid of the North
part of the Seaboard Sculpture Park.
Balintore is a village near Tain in Ross-shire. Its name is from the Gaelic Baile an Todhair meaning "The Bleaching Town". It is one of three villages on this northern stretch of the Moray Firth coastline - Hilton, Balintore, and Shandwick are known collectively as the Seaboard Villages. Local employment has long been based on fishing, but this is now only a small part of the local economy.
Balintore has a large harbour, built c.1890. With a shop, post office and pharmacy. Balintore holds a small but friendly community. Balintore was given a boost by the opening of a village hall a few years ago which includes a café.The Old Scout Hut has also recently been renovated next to the newly installed play park. On the sea front there is a plaque in commemoration of John Ross (1842-1915) who was responsible for translation of the Bible into Korean.
- Seaboard History Website - online archive of the social history of the Seaboard Villages; Hilton, Balintore, and Shandwick
- Seaboard Villages Websit
- Down to the Sea - online version of history book of Hilton, Balintore, and Shandwick