Gaelic: Baile Deàrnaig
Baldernock Parish Church
The parish is approximately 12 square miles in area, bounded by the Campsie Fells to the north and east, the Pow Burn to the west and the Allander Water and River Kelvin to the south which also form the county border. It is centred on Baldernock Parish Church, which is under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Dumbarton. However, it also encompasses the village of Balmore and the hamlets of Bardowie and Barnellan. The parish also has a farm known as Barraston Farm, which has a nearby garden centre. Other landmarks include Bardowie Loch, Bardowie Castle and Blairskaith.
In 1200, Baldernock was called Bathernock or Buthirnok. By the early 18th century, it was known as Badernock. There had been a church on the present-day site for at least a century and a half. Certainly, the oldest gravestone is from 1644, and the oldest gravestone that can be deciphered is from 1665. However, by the late 18th century, the church was in severe disrepair. Thus, in 1795, a new 406-person church was built, incorporating some of the stonework of the previous church. Later, a vestry projection was added to the north side. In 1905, a railway station, called Bardowie Station, was opened, and a housing development of 500 houses was planned. However, fewer than ten were actually built, and in 1951, the station was closed.
- Old Glasgow and Its Suburbs in Their Celtic Garb: Also, Parish of Baldernock, Kirkintilloch to Stirling, Robroyston by Neil Thomson (Aird & Coghill, 1907).
- The Story of Baldernock by Elizabeth Robertson and Willie Ure (East Dunbartonshire District Libraries, 1991).
- Baldernock – Profile of a Parish Baldernock Amenity Society, May 1974.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Scotland's Churches Trust - Baldernock Parish Church
- GENUKI - Baldernock
- FamilySearch - Baldernock, Stirlingshire, Scotland
- EDLC - Baldernock
This Stirlingshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.