Village sign, Arrington
Arrington is a village in the south of Cambridgeshire, a modest place with a recorded population of 389 at the time of 2001 census. The village is to be found 6 miles north of the border town of Royston, and 9 miles southwest of the county town, Cambridge.
Arrington village and parish are mostly west of the A1198 road, with the exception of a small area of land to the east, next to Wimpole Park. A minor road runs west to Croydon; the next village north is Longstowe and Wendy lies south. Arrington is nine miles south-west of the county town of Cambridge and 44 miles north of London.
Arrington is on the A1198 road, the old Roman Ermine Street. Around 950, the village's name was written as Earnningtone; in the 1086 Domesday Book it was spelled Erningtune. By the 13th century, the village was known as Aring(e)ton(e). The probable meaning was 'Earn's folk's farmstead'. Flint tools have been found along the spring line around Church Farm.
Sights of the village
A war memorial, built in the 1920s, is dedicated to Arrington men and women who died in the First and Second World Wars. It stands at the old junction of the road to Cambridge and Ermine Street.
There are 20 listed buildings in Arrington (including the church). Among them are the old post office and shop, nine houses and two milestones along Ermine Street, Wraggs Farmhouse, its barn and old granary, the Hardwicke Arms Hotel and entrance gates and piers to Wimpole Hall.
There are some pictures and a description of the church at the Cambridgeshire Churches website .
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Arrington Parish Council: History
- Mills, A.D. (1998). A Dictionary of English Place-names. Second Edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford. p13. ISBN 0-19-280074-4
- Arrington Parish Council: A history of the parish
- Information on Arrington from GENUKI
- Arrington Parish Council: War memorial
- IoE|52672|Post Office, house and shop}}
- Images of England — details from listed building database (52677) Wraggs Farmhouse
- Images of England — details from listed building database (52679) Barn at Wraggs Farm
- Images of England — details from listed building database (52678) Granary at Wraggs Farm
- Images of England — details from listed building database (52684) Hardwicke Arms Hotel
- Images of England — details from listed building database (52685) Entrance gates and piers to Wimpole Hall
- Images of England — details from listed building database (52667) St Nicholas' Church
- St Nicholas' page at the Cambridgeshire Churches website