Alwalton weir on the Nene
The village lies north west of Yaxley, overlooking the southern bank of the River Nene and close to the line of Ermine Street or the A1 road. Alwalton is a conservation area with a number of listed buildings, the most important of which are the Norman Church of St Andrew's and the Elizabethan manor House.
The village is an old one, and there is evidence that there was some kind of building here during Roman times as some coins and pieces of pottery have been found. The Roman town of Durobrivae lay half a mile to the northwest, on the Roman Road.
A petrifying spring rises in the village. A stone known as "Alwalton marble" is found on the banks of the River Nene hereabouts.
The East of England Showground lies to the south of the village. The 240-acre site is used each June for the East of England Show and at other times for commercial exhibitions.
Sir Henry Royce (27 March 1863 – 22 April 1933), co founder of Rolls-Royce, was born in the village and his ashes is buried in St Andrew's Church where a plaque can be seen on the wall as well on a spot on the floor where beneath his ashes were buried in an urn. Interesting to know is, that his urn was originally buried in 1933 beneath a statue of him at the Rolls-Royce works in Derby but in 1937 his urn was removed from there and was brought to Alwalton.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|