Allington Castle from across the Medway
|Population:||7,100 (2005 est.)|
|Maidstone and The Weald|
Allington in Kent is an almost entirely modern village situated alongside the sides of the A20 road to the west of Maidstone, and developed into part of the built-up area of Maidstone. It has two primary schools, and in the centre of Allington is the Mid Kent Shopping Centre.
The name Allington is a common one and in this case it is believed to be derived from the Old English Ællan tun ("Ælla's farmstead"). In the Domesday Book of 1086 it is recorded as Elentun.
Allington Castle was originally built in the 11th century. In 1281 the present stone castle was built, which was converted to a mansion in the 15th century. In 1492 the castle came into the possession of the Wyatt family By the mid-19th century it was derelict, but was restored in 1905; in 1951 it was bought by the Carmelite order. Today it is owned by Sir Robert Worcester as a private residence and is not open to the public.
The few dwellings around the castle had a population of 49 in 1841.
There was once a village church dedicated to St Laurence. It closed in 1969. The modern village has developed since however and it has a new, modern parish church also dedicated to St Nicholas, built on the site of the old church. Furnishings from the old St Laurence's are used here.
Down the hill from St Laurence's Church is the River Medway, Allington Lock and Allington Sluice. There is a footpath over the lock. Below the lock, the Medway becomes tidal. On the other bank is the Malta Inn, and Kent Life.
A footpath runs from here to Teston. A Park and Sail service (claimed to be the only one in Britain) operates on the weekends leading up to Christmas. Using the car park and boarding by the Malta Inn, the MV Kentish Lady carries shoppers to Maidstone and back.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Allington, Kent)