Dyke is a small village on the coast of Morayshire, approximately 4 miles west of Forres. Close by the village are Brodie Castle, Culbin Forest and the River Findhorn. Dyke is also near Macbeth's Hillock, portrayed as the setting of Macbeth's meeting with the witches in Shakespeare's play, where Macbeth halts ('How far is't to Forres?').
The origin of the name of the parish of Dyke is supposed to be the Gaelic word dìg, signifying a water drain or ditch, though it could as well be the Scots word dyke with the same meaning (the latter from the Old English dic).
About the village
There are two church buildings in Dyke, the still functional Church of Scotland built in 1781, and the old East Church, which was an old Presbyterian church built in 1856 on land given to the town by the Brodie family, still major landowners in the region.
The old church was closed in the mid-20th century and used as a potato barn for many decades, a fate common to many old churches in the region. It is now in use as a bed and breakfast establishment.
The village contains a primary school.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Dyke, Morayshire)