Milton of Campsie
|Milton of Campsie|
The Parish Church in Milton of Campsie
About the village
Milton has one full sized grass football park in what is known locally as "The Battlefield", as well as another smaller football field at Beechtree Park.
The village has a fari range of local shops (a newsagent, general store, Post Office, pharmacy, delicatessen and two hairdressing salons amongst others).
The Kincaid House Hotel consists of accommodation and licensed bars and restaurants. There is another bar/restaurant called the Craigfoot Inn run by the Stirling family.
- Church of Scotland: Milton of Campsie Parish Church, on Antermony Road.
- Roman Catholic: St Paul's, on Cairnview Road
Until the late nineteenth century, the Kincaid and Lennox families were influential in Milton. The latter family gave its name to neighbouring Lennoxtown.
A small plaque at the centre of the village commemorates the landing of the Italian diplomat and balloonist, Vincenzo Lunardi, on 5 December 1785.
Directly across from Scotmid and next to the church there is a small First World War and Second World War memorial to commemorate the men of the village who gave their lives for Britain. At the Cross there is an open seating area called "The Old Mans Rest"; previously there was a shelter for an earlier generation.
Milton of Campsie was served by the railway for over a hundred years from 1848 until it was closed to passenger traffic in 1951. The Campsie Branch ran from the junction of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Line at Lenzie and dropped down through Kirkintilloch, to terminate in Lennoxtown, although a 'through-road' continued on the Blane Valley Line to Strathblane, then onto the tourist route to Aberfoyle in the Trossachs.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Milton of Campsie)