St Mary's, Wootton
Wootton is a large village found to the south-west of Bedford, in the north of Bedfordshire. The parish also includes the hamlets of Hall End, Keeley Green (commonly known as millionaire row due to a few houses along the long road worth over a million pounds) and Wootton Green.
The village has a 14th century church, and a manor house, Wootton House, which is an impressive late 17th-century house with a contemporary, red brick stable block.
Wootton has had a long association with brickmaking, but is now mainly a commuter village for Bedford and Milton Keynes. In the 18th century church bells were made here for several churches in Bedfordshire and adjoining counties.
There has been a great deal of residential development over the last 30 years but some attractive old timber-framed houses still survive.
The parish church, the Church of St Mary the Virgin, is mainly 14th century but contains two fine monuments in the chancel to members of the Monoux family who died in 1685 and 1707.
Pubs in Wootton include The Fox and Duck, The Cock Inn, The Chequers Inn, The Legstraps, The Blue Cross Members Club, The Cross Keys (Tre Fratelli)
History and modernity
The Domesday Book of 1086, listed Wootton as having 26 residents (20 villagers and six slaves) across ten hides. By 1901, the population had risen to 1,252.
The early twenty-first century however has seen a great expansion of Wootton, and new plans have been published for further expansion, including more than a thousand new houses on its fields, ships, offices and much more.
Sport and leisure
- Football: Wootton Blue Cross F.C.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Wootton, Bedfordshire)
- "Wootton Church". Bedfordshire County Council. http://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/CommunityAndLiving/ArchivesAndRecordOffice/CommunityArchives/Wootton/WoottonChurch.aspx. Retrieved 2008-02-01.