Whitsome is a small rural village and parish in Berwickshire, on the B6437 road, near Duns, Fogo, Ladykirk, Leitholm and Swinton. In 1735, after the decay of the old church of Hilton, that parish was merged into Whitsome.
Whitsome derives from Old English hwit-husum "at the white houses". This may refer to white stone buildings, or houses painted white. The name has been recorded as the following over the centuries:
- æt hwitum husum, 984 (literally "at the white houses, -um being dative plural).
- Huuithusum, 1038 (double u was written since "w" could not be pronounced by the author)
- Witsum, 1124 (contracted form)
- Location map: 55°44’54"N, 2°13’33"W
- RCAHMS site record for Whitsome
- Gazetteer for Scotland: Parish of Whitsome
- Excavation of cist burial, Leetside Farm, Whitsome
-  Forestry Commission: Consultation with Edrom, Allanton and Whitsome Community Council
- GENUKI: History of Whitsome
- Borders Family History Society: Whitsome
- GEOGRAPH image: Whitsome Church