Difference between revisions of "Whitehills"

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "{{county|Banff}} Today Whitehills harbour hosts more leisure craft than fishing vessels '''Whitehills''' is a small fishing village on th...")
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{county|Banff}}
 
{{county|Banff}}
 
[[File:Whitehills harbour.jpg|thumb|Today Whitehills harbour hosts more leisure craft than fishing vessels]]
 
[[File:Whitehills harbour.jpg|thumb|Today Whitehills harbour hosts more leisure craft than fishing vessels]]
'''Whitehills''' is a small fishing village on the  on the [[Moray Firth]] coast of [[Banffshire]], that lies three miles west of the [[county town]], [[Banff]].
+
'''Whitehills''' is a small fishing village on the [[Moray Firth]] coast of [[Banffshire]], lying three miles west of the [[county town]], [[Banff]].
 
==Attractions==
 
==Attractions==
  

Latest revision as of 10:32, 31 July 2019

Today Whitehills harbour hosts more leisure craft than fishing vessels

Whitehills is a small fishing village on the Moray Firth coast of Banffshire, lying three miles west of the county town, Banff.

Attractions

In 1999, the fishing harbour was developed as a leisure marina, called the Whitehills Marina.[1] The marina offers facilities for visiting sailors and hosts an annual sailing regatta in August. The marina has 47 pontoon berths and is accessible at all states of the tide. Drying out for maintenance is possible in a purpose-built bay of the inner harbour.

The village has a post office, a library, a small grocery shop, a beauty salon and a fish and chip restaurant. There is a pub, The Cutty. A five-bedroom hotel, The Seafield Arms has a bar & restaurant. There is a restaurant, The Galley, by the harbour. There is a fishmonger, Downies, near the harbour. There is a potter, Watergaw Ceramics, in Chapel Street.

A five-mile-long coastal path stretches from the Whitehills Harbour to Banff Harbour.[2]

Lifeboat

Between 1924 and 1969 Whitehills had an RNLI lifeboat station. The station was transferred from Banff and in 1932 a new boathouse and slipway (which still stand today) were constructed for a new motor lifeboat. Whitehills received a new 47-foot Watson-class boat in 1961, but this was withdrawn and the station closed in 1969 after launching only eleven times in eight years.

References

Outside links

Commons-logo.svg
("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Whitehills)

This Banffshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.