The Sutton-in-Ashfield sundial
The main road to Mansfield used to go through the town, but this is now the B6023. The A617 Mansfield Bypass meets the A38 at Kings Mill and passes through much of the town's parish, to the east. It opened in 2005.
The name "Sutton" is a commonplace name in Great Britain and means "South Village". The suffix "-in-Ashfield" distinguishes the town from other like-named towns and represents the ancient area of Ashfield in which it lies, a distinction owned also by nearby Kirkby-in-Ashfield.
Sights of the town
The main attraction in Sutton-in-Ashfield, is the largest sundial in Europe. It is located in the middle of Portland Square, adjacent to the Idlewells Shopping Centre and Sutton Centre Community College.
Another attraction in Sutton-in-Ashfield is The Ashfield Show, held in August on Sutton Lawn, and includes everything from fairground rides, local businesses and services showing their presence, live music, classic cars and steam engines and much more.
A further local attraction stands on the former site of Silverhill Colliery close to the scenic village of Teversal on the north-west edge of Ashfield. The area has been transformed from the colliery to a woodland, which features several walks for all abilities. The artificial hill is the highest point in Nottinghamshire after Newtonwood Lane in Huthwaite a little to the south. At the summit stands stands a monument to all the miners who have worked in the area's coalfields.
Out on the B6139 to the south is the Sherwood Observatory, which is inside the parish, not Mansfield, being run by the Mansfield and Sutton Astronomical Society.
The Church of St Mary Magdalene, the parish church, dates from the twelfth century.
Churches of the town include:
- Church of England: St Mary Magdalene
- United Reformed Church: Sutton-in-Ashfield URC
The town appears in the Domesday Book as "Sutone". There are also documents from 1189 showing that Gerard, son of Walter de Sutton, gave two bovates of land and the church at Sutton to Thurgarton Priory.
Sutton Colliery was actually outside of the town in Stanton Hill. It closed in 1989.
The Pretty Polly brand of hosiery originated in the town in around 1927, and was manufactured there on Unwin Road until April 2005. Samuel Eden Socks closed in July 2005.
Kings Mill Reservoir
The Kings Mill Reservoir in the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield, has alongside it the Mill Adventure Base with sailing activities. This is one of three Nottinghamshire adventure bases, with the other two at Holme Pierrepont (Lakeside) and Worksop (Sandhill), all of which are available for people aged 11–19. The sailing club has used the reservoir since 1959.
The reservoir is also a nature reserve.
Kings Mill received its name from a mill on the north-east of the reservoir, once owned by John Cockle and his wife, who gave Henry II of England a night's lodgings and breakfast during his reign.
To the west is the 250-acre Brierley Forest Park, built on the site of Sutton Colliery, also known as Brierley Colliery, which was named due to many of the miners coming from Brierley Hill. It is a nature reserve and opened in 1999.
- A History of Sutton-in-Ashfield
- Rambling Club
- Kings Mill Reservoir
- Kings Mill Reservoir for visitors from Nottingham