The village is dominated by Stanway House, a Jacobean manor house, owned by the Earl of Wemyss and March.
St Peter's Church was rebuilt in the 12th century, the tower added in the 13th century and the whole building thoroughly restored in 1896.
The Tithe Barn was built in the 14th century for Tewkesbury Abbey.
About the village
Stanway War Memorial is situated at the south side of the village, at the junction of the B4077 road (which runs from Stow-on-the-Wold to the A46 at the Teddington Hands, three miles north of Bishop's Cleeve) and the southernmost end of the Stanton Road. The bronze of St George and the Dragon is by Alexander Fisher, the stone column and plinth by Sir Philip Stott carved by Eric Gill. The war memorial in the church chancel is also by Fisher and Gill.
Stanway has a cricket pitch, a fenced ground, in the middle of a field. The field has an undulating surface, which was reportedly made uneven to make landing difficult for - possibly hypothetical - German gliders during the Second World War. The cricket ground - itself flat - possesses a pavilion, which is built on staddle stones, and was the gift of the author J M Barrie who stayed at Stanway House in the 1920s.
For many years, the Stanway Flower Show was a highlight of the year for the hamlet - and many people travelled to visit 'The Show'. The Tithe Barn hosted the exhibits, including flowers, vegetables, handcrafts, etc., and a number of stalls - including a coconut shy and nine-pin bowling - in the grounds of Stanway House.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Stanway, Gloucestershire)
- Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, David Verey, Pevsner Architectural Guides: The Buildings of England, Penguin, 1970, ISBN 0-14-071040-X. Pp. 414–417