Difference between revisions of "Portora Castle"
|Line 7:||Line 7:|
Latest revision as of 17:40, 2 May 2018
|Owned by:||(State care)|
Today the castle is a State Care Historic Monument.
In 1619 Nicholas Pynnar described the castle as 'a bawn of lime and stone, eight feet square, approximately 13 feet high, with four flankers and a stone house or castle three storeys high, strongly wrought'. Three of the flankers remain, the two on the west, flanking the walls of the castle. These round towers, about 10 feet in diameter, have several gun loops. Inside the castle can be seen proper fireplace chimneys in the north and west walls.
Sir Michael Cole and his family moved to Portora Castle in 1710 when their previous residence, Enniskillen Castle, was hit by fire. They remained there until about 1716, when Sir Michael's son, John Cole (1680–1726), started building Florence Court.
The ford at Portora was important in the Erne Waterways and must have seen considerable traffic in peace and war. In the course of the Erne Drainage Scheme (1951–1960) a bronze dirk and stone axes were recovered at this point. The castle is now in ruins partly because a group of truanting school-boys from nearby Portora Royal School, experimenting with gunpowder they learnt how to create in chemistry class, blew up a section in the latter part of the 19th century. They also tried digging under the building which added to its dereliction.
- "Portora Castle". Environment and Heritage Service NI – State Care Historic Monuments. http://www.ehsni.gov.uk/state_care_monuments_2007.pdf. Retrieved 3 December 2007.