Welsh: Llanfihangel Troddi
St Michael and All Angels church
History and amenities
The name of the parish derives from the name of the river, the Trothy. The addition "Mitchel" is thought not to derive from the church's dedication to St Michael, but rather as a variant of the word "much" or "mickle", as also found at Mitcheldean in Gloucestershire, and used to differentiate the village from the nearby manor of Troy Parva.
Church of St Michael
The parish church of St Michael is built mainly in the Decorated style of about the 13th century; a 19th-century inscription claims it was built in 1208. The cleric and writer Adam of Usk was the rector in 1382-85. The church was thoroughly restored in 1870.
Troy House, about 1½ miles north-east of the church, was largely rebuilt after about 1680, on the site of an earlier building, for the Duke of Beaufort, after the family seat at Raglan Castle had fallen into ruin. The house remained in the Somerset family until it was sold in 1901, after which it became a convent school and later, from 1935, an approved school. In 2008, proposals have been made for its conversion into residential apartments.
- Sir Joseph Bradney, A History of Monmouthshire, vol.2 part 2, 1913
- John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire, 2000, ISBN 0-14-071053-1
- Monmouthshire Beacon, New lease of life for Troy House?, 29 December 2008
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Mitchel Troy)