Menstrie Castle, at the Foot of the Ochil Hills
|Built late 16th century|
|Condition:||Converted to flats|
|Owned by:||Clackmannanshire Council|
Menstrie Castle stands on the southern side of the village. It dates from the late 16th and early 17th centuries and appears originally to have been quite a small L-shaped fortalice. Later the wing was extended, another wing was added and a curtain wall erected to the east to join up, enclosing quite a large courtyard. Only the west and south wings of the original house now remain. The gables are crowstepped and an angle-turret with gunloops crowns the south-east corner.
Menstrie was burned by Montrose in 1645.
In 1963 the house was restored. The National Trust for Scotland for some years maintained a museum here, now closed, which told the story of the founding of Nova Scotia by Sir William Alexander, who was born here in 1577.