Gaelic: Magh an Fhucadair
Until the early 1970s there was large apiary which was well known in the region and has lived on in the Scottish country dance "The Bees of Maggieknockater".
The meaning of Maggieknockater is Gaelic, and means "Field (Magh') of the Fuller" or "Plain of the Hilly Ridge".
At nearby Gauldwell Castle (now only with one partial wall left standing) Mary, Queen of Scots, is reputed to have spent the night. The school was closed in the 1960s and the chapel was turned into a home in the early 1970s.
What was once a smithy is now a garage still in the hands of the Maclean family. Maggieknockater formerly had a post office; it opened in June 1876 and closed in 1940.
About the village
Less than two miles heading east along the A95 from Maggieknockater is the site of a series of demanding Mountain Biking trails, known confusingly as "The Moray Monster Trails". The trails were regenerated and improved during 2005 and 2006.