Lower Shuckburgh from the south
Lower Shuckburgh is a small village in eastern Warwickshire. It forms part of the civil parish of Upper and Lower Shuckburgh, which in the 2001 census had a population of 82. Lower Shuckburgh is within Kington Hundred, whereas Upper Shuckburgh forms part of Knightlow hundred.
The most notable building in the village is the Church of St John the Baptist, designed by John Croft, which dates from 1864 and is built in Gothic style. The 15-foot war memorial is a Hornton stone obelisk, unveiled in 1921 and decorated with a bronze wreath of laurels.
Shuckburgh was mentioned in the Domesday Book as Sochberge, possibly referring to a long lost burial mound or barrow. The villages appear as Ouer Shugbury and Nether Shugbury on the Christopher Saxton map of 1637.
- ONS Neighbourhood statistics
- Nicholson, Jean et al: The Obelisks of Warwickshire, page 61. Brewin Books, 2013
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Lower Shuckburgh)
- Allen, Geoff. (2000). Warwickshire Towns and Villages. Sigma Leisure. ISBN 1-85058-642-X