Llangynfelyn is a village and parish in north Cardiganshire adjacent to the border with Merionethshire. It lies midway between the towns of Aberystwyth and Machynlleth, and stretches from the Afon Leri estuary in the west, to Moel y Llyn in the east, and from north of Tal-y-bont on the A487 to the south, to Lodge Park in the north. Total area is 5,109 acres. As of 2001 it had a population of 641. The population is concentrated in the two villages of Taliesin and Tre'r Ddôl, together with the settlements of Llangynfelyn, and Craig y Penrhyn.
The parish is named after the parish church of St Cynfelyn, hence the official name of Llangynfelyn. Various alternate spellings are used, particularly Llancynfelyn and Llancynfelin.
Soar Chapel in Tre'r Ddôl was formerly the site of the Hen Gapel (Old Chapel) Museum, a branch of the Welsh National Folk Museum which closed in the 1990s. The museum was originally created in the late 1960s by the academic R J Thomas, editor of the The University of Wales Dictionary. Soar Chapel was chosen for its links with Humphrey Rowland Jones (1832-1895), who had begun the 1858-60 Welsh Methodist revival there.
Other notable residents of Tre'r Ddôl were the poet and farmer Dic Jones, who was born there, and the writer Elma Mary Williams.
- Humphrey R Jones, Dictionary of Welsh Biography