King Edward

From Wikishire
Revision as of 16:03, 16 October 2015 by Owain (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
King Edward Parish Kirk

King Edward is a small village and parish in the north of Aberdeenshire adjacent to the border with Banffshire. It is situated on the A947 road midway between Turriff and Banff. The northern and western boundary of the parish also forms the county border.

The old church of King Edward with historic graveyard was founded around 1124 by St Aidan. The last service in the old church was on 25 June 1848 and services moved to new building alongside the main road.

King Edward has a disused station on the Banff, Macduff and Turriff Junction Railway part of the Great North of Scotland Railway system.

Famous inhabitants

Probably the best known inhabitant was William Guild who was minister at the church from 1608 to 1631. Dr Guild went on to become principal at Marischal College, Aberdeen. Guild street in Aberdeen is named after him.


The name itself has nothing to do with any "King Edward", but is a corruption of an earlier Scottish Gaelic name. The first element "King", usually appears as "kin" in Scottish placenames, and derives from "Ceann" meaning a headland. The second element is less certain but may derive from "Eadar" (between) or "cathair-thalmhainn" (yarrow).

The parish of King Edward has had approx 24 variations of the name: Kynedor (12th Century), Kynedward and Kinedart to name a few.


("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about King Edward)
Aberdeenshire roundel.svg
 This Aberdeenshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.