Eilean Mòr, Crowlin Islands
A ruined cottage on Eilean Mòr
|Highest point:||Meall a' Chòis 374 feet|
Excavations on Eilean Mòr have shown evidence of human settlement in Mesolithic times 8,000 years ago. Ruined cottages can be seen in the north-east corner, near Camas na h-Annait ("church bay").
In the middle of the nineteenth century tenants were cleared from Applecross to make way for sheep. A group of families unwilling to take passage to far-off lands were settled on Crowlin Mòr (Eilean Mòr), to make what living they could by fishing and farming. From about 1810 to 1920 Eilean Mòr was home to several families. In the course of time the families slipped back to Applecross and the island has been uninhabited since about 1920.
- Location map: 57°20’30"N, 5°49’49"W