The Square, Cawsand
|South East Cornwall|
Cawsand and Kingsand are twin villages on the Rame Peninsula in south-east Cornwall. The village of Kingsand sits in a detached part of Devon. Some of the buildings in the twin villages are built over the rivulet that forms the border. This is apparent in Garret Street where the appropriately named "Devon-Corn" has a boundary marker embedded in its wall.
Cawsand overlooks Plymouth Sound and adjoins Kingsand. Once a renowned smuggling village, Cawsand now has three public houses (the Cross Keys Inn, the Devonport Inn and the Halfway house Inn) and a hotel (the Cawsand Bay Hotel).
Cawsand is within Mount Edgcumbe Country Park. There are frequent bus services to the city of Plymouth which is three miles to the north across Plymouth Sound. There is also a ferry service in the summer (from Cawsand beach to Plymouth Hoe) and a pilot gig club (Rame Gig Club).
The Rame Peninsula is sometimes known as being in the Forgotten Corner of Cornwall.
Cawsand Fort, at 50°19’56"N, 4°12’9"W is sited just above the village. The fort is an 1860s Royal Commission on the Defence of the United Kingdom fort built on the site of a 1779 artillery battery to mount about 10 guns to cover the western entrance to Plymouth Sound by the breakwater. Released by the Ministry of Defence in 1926 it remained derelict until it was converted into residential accommodation.
Cawsand is twinned with Porspoder in Brittany.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|