From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Part of the village street at Bronygarth (geograph 2287372).jpg
Part of the village street at Bronygarth
Grid reference: SJ268370
Location: 52°55’30"N, 3°5’24"W
Post town: Oswestry
Postcode: SY10
Dialling code: 01691
Local Government
Council: Shropshire
North Shropshire

Bronygarth is a small village and township in the Ceiriog Valley in Shropshire, adjacent to the border with Denbighshire. The name is alternatively spaced out as Bron-y-garth, meaning "Breast of the Hill" and is thought to have formed part of a hunting estate. The name appears in documents as far back as the 12th century.


Bronygarth lies on Offa's Dyke, the massive earthwork constructed in the late 8th century by Offa, King of Mercia, as a boundary between Saxon Mercia and Celtic Wales. The section of the dyke between Castle Mill and Craignant remains well preserved. Although the dyke passed directly through Bronygarth, the area remained strongly Welsh in culture, customs and language. Settlements were mainly in the valley, along the banks of the River Ceiriog, but with a small number of farms extending higher up the mountainside.

Two Celtic carved stone heads were uncovered at Well Cottage in Bronygarth and are now on display at the British Museum.

Bronygarth became part of the Traian in the Lordship of Oswestry which was associated with the Fitzalan dynasty for many centuries. Throughout the later Middle Ages the area was dominated by Chirk Castle and the Myddleton family.

In 1536, the Laws in Wales Acts 1535 placed all of the Lordship of Oswestry within Shropshire.

The neighbouring townships of Weston Rhyn and Bronygarth of the ancient Parish of St Martin's were formed into the new civil parish of Weston Rhyn in 1898.

The first school was built in Bronygarth in 1872. Opposite the school stood a toll house on the Bronygarth and Wern turnpike road, which connected to the main highway to Chester Pontfaen. Also opposite the 'Old school' is a house which was occupied by the headmaster until it was sold privately

The area was highly dependent on agriculture but limestone was also quarried. Lime kilns are still present and can be seen along the road through the village.

The village does not have a village hall. In 2004 the villagers built two Mongolian yurts from local timber. The coverings were supplied by the local Hot Air Balloon company, Lindstrand Hot Air Balloons. The yurts are used for village parties and private functions for the residents. The party to celebrate their completion was attended by the Mongolian ambassador, His Excellency Dalrain Davaasambuu.[1]


Bronygarth lies on both the Offa's Dyke long-distance footpath and the shorter Ceiriog Trail.


("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Bronygarth)
  • G. G. Lerry, "Collieries of Denbighshire", 1968
  • C. Neville Hurdsman, "A History of the Parishes of St. Martin's & Weston Rhyn" 2003