The old parish church, Bothenhampton
Bothenhampton is a village in south-western Dorset, just outside the town of Bridport. It is separated from the town only by the River Asker and the A35 Bridport by-pass. The 2011 census recorded a population in the wider civil parish (which includes the settlement of Walditch) of 2,131.
The parish church, Holy Trinity, was designed by the Arts and Crafts movement architect Edward Schroeder Prior in 1889. It was his first church.
By the late 19th century the 15th century Old Holy Trinity Church had fallen into disrepair. The new church was funded by J. P. F. Gundry, one of the directors of the West Bay Building Company, by public subscription and anonymous donation.
The roof is the most radical feature of the church. The arches spring at 2’6 above floor level and rise to a ridge 30’ high. The windows are filled with a forerunner of Prior's Early English glass. The communion table and furnishings were designed by another leading Arts and Crafts Movement architect, William Lethaby, as was the altar front with its intertwined wild roses, leaves and stems.
At the end of the village is the village park, which is a memorial to John Holt. Annual events, such as a barn dance organised by the Bothenhampton village hall committee, take place in the John Holt play area.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|