Bledisloe

From Wikishire
Revision as of 11:52, 22 March 2019 by Owain (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Bledisloe is a hundred of Gloucestershire, in the west of the county. It is bounded to the north by St Briavels Hundred; to the east and west by Westbury Hundred; and to the south by the River Severn,

The hundred is named after the hamlet of Bledisloe, to the north of Lydney on the A48 road, where the hundred court met. The meeting place was a mound known as Bledisloe Tump.

It comprises the ancient parishes of:

At the time of the Domesday Book the hundred included Awre manor, Bledisloe, Etloe, Purton and Nass. Alvington and Lydney joined the hundred by 1221.[1]

References

  1. N M Herbert A P Baggs; A R J Jurica (1996). "Bledisloe Hundred". in C R J Currie. A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean. Institute of Historical Research. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23248. Retrieved 9 July 2011. 
Hundreds of Gloucestershire

Barton Regis (including Bristol) • Berkeley • Bisley • Bledisloe • Botloe • Bradley • Brightwells Barrow • Cheltenham • Cleeve • Crowthorne and Minety (including Cirencester) • Deerhurst • Duchy of Lancaster • Dudstone and King's Barton (including Gloucester) • Grumbald's Ash • Henbury • Kiftsgate • Langley and Swinehead • Longtree • Pucklechurch • Rapsgate • St Briavels • Slaughter • Tewkesbury • Thornbury • Tibaldstone • Westbury • Westminster • Whitstone