|Council:||Armagh City and District Council|
|Newry and Armagh|
Armagh is the county town of County Armagh. It was granted city status by Queen Elizabeth II in 1994. Armagh is the seat of both the Archbishop of Armagh in the Church of Ireland and of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Armagh, both of whom hold the position of Primate of All Ireland for their respective denominations.
Armagh's two cathedrals, one Protestant and one Roman Catholic, are both on hills in the town and both named after Saint Patrick. The Church of Ireland cathedral dates back to around 445, while the Roman Catholic cathedral was constructed during the latter half of the 1800s and features twin 210 ft spires, making it the tallest such structure in the county. Armagh is the only city in the world which is home to two cathedrals of the same name.
The palace of the Archbishop of Armagh is now the local council offices and, along with the archbishop's private chapel, is open to the public. The Palace Stables heritage centre is a reconstructed stable block dating from the 1700s, which was once part of the Archbishop's estate.
Among the city's chief glories is the public library on Abbey Street, founded in 1771 by Archbishop Richard Robinson (later Lord Rokeby), using his own library as its nucleus. The Library is especially rich in 17th and 18th century English books, including Dean Jonathan Swift's own copy of the first edition of his Gulliver's Travels, with his manuscript corrections.
Armagh Market House was built in 1815 as a two-storey five-bay building, and is currently used as a library.
The Armagh Observatory was founded in 1790 and the Armagh Planetarium in 1968 to complement its work.